Singlish word: Sian. From the Hokkien dialect.
Used to express boredom or when feeling tired of a situation.
Aka: I’m so tired of that. / Not again.
- Not again?! Sian……
- (Narrowly missing the bus after running for it) Sian!
- It’s the holidays and I’m stuck here with this project. Sian.
- Instant noodles again for the fifth time this week? Sian.
Prawn fishing, or prawning, is a popular past time among Singaporeans. To soak in the Singapore atmosphere, it is better to ‘prawn’ in the evenings and on weekends. Prices average at about $15 per hour per fishing rod, and comes with bait for catch, usually raw cockles. Charges per hour get cheaper by the hour, usually $25 for 2 hours and $30 for 3 hours.
1. Head to the counter, make payment and you will receive a rod.
2. Pick up some bait (usually at the payment counter in disposable condiment saucers).
3. Grab a net (to put your catch in).
4. Pick a spot to prawn from, tie your net to a hook (or anything else)
5. Hook some bait on and you’re good to go!
Tip: If you are completely lost and haven’t caught anything in half an hour, get help! Feel free to approach the staff and they would be more than willing to teach you the basics of prawn fishing. If the patron prawning next to you is having a good catch, just ask for help. Enthusiasts are normally willing to give some tips.
There are barbecue pits available too. When you are done, rinse the prawns under the tap at a sink you will find, and skewer them (plates and disposable skewers are available. If not, bring your catch home for a good seafood meal.
Some prawning locations in Singapore are open 24 hours so if you are more of a night person, prawning might be a good activity for you in Singapore (other than having supper of course). Some locations also offer fish and crabs for catch!
1. Bottle Tree Park
81 Lorong Chencharu (Yishun)
2. East Coast Prawn Fishing
1020 East Coast Parkway
Tel: 6227 3330
3. Pasir Ris Town Park Prawn Fishing
Pasir Ris Drive 1
Pasir Ris Town Park
Tel : 6584 4479
4. Pasir Ris Farmway Prawn Fishing
70 Pasir Ris Farmway 3
Tel: 9788 6528
5. Hai Bin Prawning (at Punggol and Jurong)
6 Tebing Lane (Punggol)
Tel: 6447 8693
241 Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim, The Village (Jurong)
Tel: 6265 2598
6. Punggol Prawn Fishing
Marina Country Club
Ponggol Seventeenth Avenue
Tel: 6310 1012
7. D’Kranji Prawn Fishing
10 Neo Tiew Lane 2
Tel : 6862 9717
8. Farmart Prawn Fishing
67 Sungei Tengah Rd
Tel : 6767 0070